Site of the gallows
The Tyburn Tree
The first recorded execution at this site took place in 1196 when Willam Fitz Osbern,
the populist leader of the London tax riots, was hanged next to the stream. In 1571, the 'Tyburn Tree' was erected near the present day site of Marble Arch. The 'Tyburn Tree' was unusual in that it was a triangular
gallows on three legs. Up to 24 people could be hanged at once, although this was a rare occurence! The Tyburn gallows were last used in 1783 when John Austin, a highwayman, was hanged for
robbery. After this date public executions took place at Newgate Prison. The site of the gallows is now marked by a plaque
which is on an island in the middle of the road at the junction of Edgware Road and Bayswater Road.